Saturday, January 14, 2012

VETERINARY UPDATES

Well, this has been a busy week, vet-wise. We had three vet visits this week for three different cats. On Wednesday Buddy had his regular eye check-up with Dr. Hermann. The pressure in his eyes is pretty stable, though higher than normal in the left one still. Buddy is so good during the exam and Dr. Hermann is just the best! He answers all my questions like I have a few brain cells and explains things well. We go back in four months.


Wednesday afternoon I finally got Max in for his checkup and fructosamine with Dr. Hseih. Was she surprised when Max showed up at 15 lbs! His exam went well and his fructosamine showed his glucose was being maintained well. He's down to 5 units of insulin twice a day. I was so amazed that I was able to catch him Wednesday morning. I didn't even call for an appointment until I had him secured in the bathroom. For a big guy he can sure move fast! Since he's doing so well he doesn't have to go back for 6 months!!!


Thursday Micha had his recheck. They did bloodwork and an exam. I really like Dr. Werner - she handles Micha well and doesn't take any of his guff  personally. His kidney values were actually down a bit more, which is good. However, he is now experiencing some anemia - a result of the decrease in kidney function. If it continues to increase, he may need some bone marrow injections. He goes back next week. Micha does look much better and his appetite appears a bit better. He has gained 3 ounces since last week. He's tolerating his fluids well and I've caught him nibbling at the dry food. As long as I can get at least 1200 cc's of the special canned food in him each day, I don't really care if he eats the dry, too. He's staying hydrated and that's important. I know his days are numbered, so I want to make him as comfortable as possible. He still has lots of strength and his usual vim and vinegar. When that changes I'll know it's time to let him go. In the mean time we will both enjoy our time together.


So it goes. These guys and their housemates do take a lot of my time, but I don't know what I'd do without them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!